Picture this: you receive data from inside a wormhole in deep space, and at a moment’s notice, you must determine whether a spaceship could pass through it.
This is as close to an analogy as you can get in describing the work INGU’s data scientists are doing on a daily basis.
While many are drawn to INGU’s story because of our remarkably small sensor hardware, the truth is we couldn’t solve the large problems we solve without exploring the depths of data science. We are driven by a commitment to protecting the world’s critical pipeline infrastructure by building the tools and technology to allow operators to have more visibility into the condition of their assets. We are reducing the incidence of spills and leaks, as well as empowering cities to fight rampant freshwater losses due to ageing infrastructure.
Our Pipers® technology is a cleantech solution about the size of a tennis ball with micro-sensor capabilities. Pipers® are currently being deployed across the world’s critical oil, gas, and water pipeline infrastructure in search of leaks, vulnerabilities, and anomalies that threaten pipeline performance. This innovative solution travels long distances, collecting massive amounts of data to provide answers to essential questions without the need for heavy equipment or on-site engineers.
Our data science team is continuously charting new territory—evaluating and interpreting rich data sets that come back in a form that no one else has worked with before. Based on vast amounts of sensor data (gigabits per pipeline), the data science team looks for threats to pipeline safety—quickly determining the location of the issue solely based on Pipers® sensor data. With different pipeline materials, methods of installation, and events that happen during the pipeline’s lifespan, this is as much an art as a science. Our team’s work is ground-breaking and consequential.
As we continue this pioneering journey, we are excited about the work and our progress. Over 100 clients on four continents are using Pipers®. This includes more than 50 cities across North America that are using our solution to inspect their water mains, as well as all the Oil & Gas super majors. We are proud to say we have distribution partners around the world and many of our clients are leaders in their field.
And now, we are looking to expand our team. If you are a data scientist who is interested in true exploration, being first, and challenging convention, we have a spot for you. Take a look and get in touch.
What we’re looking for:
INGU is currently seeking dedicated Data Scientists for its office in Calgary or Houston. As Data Scientist you have demonstrated strong coding skills using Python and have shown an ability to draw tangible conclusions from real-world sensor data. You have strong attention to detail and enjoy a fast-paced work environment where you can take on varied and complex tasks that require independent judgement.
What your day looks like:
- Work as part of the data science team to analyze data from our Pipers® pipeline screening tool and produce reports for our clients
- Develop new data-driven insights that can provide value to our clients
- Develop machine learning models using complex datasets
- Create and maintain tools using Python to optimize our data analysis
What you bring to the table:
- MS or PhD in physics or similar quantitative field
- Understanding of machine learning algorithms and advanced statistics such as: regression, time-series forecasting, clustering, decision trees, modeling, optimization, and unstructured data analysis
- Programming in Python 4+ years’ experience
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in working with NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, TensorFlow (or equivalent)
- Strong quantitative orientation and attention to detail
- Ability to:
- compile, correlate, and compute results from large sensor time series datasets and draw tangible conclusions
- develop machine learning algorithms and perform advanced statistical analyses
- work in a timely manner within internal/customer driven deadlines
- support and work closely with a myriad of colleagues in sales, operations, and product development
- Must be able to comprehend and communicate accurately, clearly and concisely in English
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You’re comfortable with investigating open-ended problems and coming up with concrete approaches to solve them
- You’re a deeply curious person
- You can wrangle data like a pro alligator wrestler and come out relatively unscathed
If this sounds like you, apply now: