Data Scientist – Underground Navigation
Ingu Solutions is a venture-funded, Calgary-based technology company that is creating positive change within the global oil and gas sector.
Oil and gas pipelines are critical assets within our economy. And like so much of the world’s underlying infrastructure, they are aging and vulnerable to climate events. But unlike our roads, bridges and rail, pipelines are often hidden from view, expensive to reach, and for 40 per cent of the world’s pipelines completely untouchable using current inspection technologies. It is this tough and pressing reality that we are addressing using smart, miniaturized sensors capable of travelling long distances at a fraction of the cost of current solutions.
Our technology is world-class, and we are rapidly growing to meet the demands of an industry ready for change.
You’re a highly engaged computer scientist, physicist or mathematician who is interested in being part of a world-class product team. Not only do you keep up-to-date with the latest breakthroughs in inertial navigation, but you strive to make those breakthroughs yourself. You have a good understanding of the theory and mathematics that underpin underground navigation, and you’ve developed a strong intuition for how to apply and improve these methods in practice. You love data which challenges your expectations, and you’re excited to dive into the world of underground navigation.
What you’ll do
- Be an expert in IMUs and inertial navigation
- Leverage and improve upon state-of-the-art knowledge of underground navigation
- Design, develop, and evaluate new algorithms to translate IMU and other sensor data into location and velocity information
- Transfer the developed algorithms into our machine learning environment
- Collaborate closely with your colleagues to push the boundaries of what technology can do
What you need
- Strong theoretical knowledge, including mathematical foundations, of inertial navigation
- 3-5 years of experience implementing and expanding on a variety of navigation models
- Experience working with large offline datasets
- Excellent coding skills in Python or similar
- (Advanced) degree in geomatics engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, or equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Bonus points for
- Practical experience with underground navigation algorithms
- Experience working in the oil & gas sector
Where do you work
While we sincerely appreciate every application received, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.